I just finished a fantastic book by Susan Campbell Bartoletti. Before this book, I had never of her, but I now regard her as a truly brilliant author.
The Boy Who Dared is based on a true story of a Hitler Youth, Helmuth, who begins to question all he is told about life: Is worshipping Hitler dishonouring God? Why are the Jews regarded as sub-human? Why can the Germans not listen to foreign radio? If Hitler wants peace, then why did he start a war?
Although these questions are not answered fully in this short novel, Helmuth begins to quietly rebel against the dictatorship. He illegally listens to the BBC's German news report, and distributes anti-Nazi leaflets.
The writing style used in this book makes the reader feel as if the whole story is almost a fantasy. Reality is cross-cut with memories, until the past catches up to the present.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment